Saturday 28 May 2011

Flower Power (1)

I have made 2 flower themed birthday cakes this week, and apparently it was the RHS Chelsea flower show this week so I guess they were quite fitting!

The first I made for a friend at medical school who had posted a photo of a stunning flower pot cake on my Facebook wall, I decided to do my own fun interpretation of it.  (Mine may not be as beautiful or realistic, but I bet it was tastier!)


The cake was Nigella's sour cream chocolate cake, I made a mascarpone and cream chocolate icing for the filling and top but I'm sure Nigella's icing recipe would work just as well.  

To decorate I made the soil from crumbled up Flake chocolate bars and grated dark chocolate and then had some fun with some sweets making the flowers! The wafer daises are stuck to mini lollies and their leaves are made from iced foam bananas.  I used fizzy strawberry straws and white chocolate buttons to make the larger red flowers (good old morrisson's 3 for £1 sweeties!).  



1 comment:

  1. Definitely the best birthday cake I've ever received!
    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete